What You Can Do

UW Students, Staff, and Faculty:

You can anonymously report any incidents or patterns of abuse or neglect of animals in the care of the University. We encourage you to do what’s right and provide as detailed an observation as you can, with date(s), location(s), animal(s) involved (with their serial numbers if at all possible), condition of the animal(s), and what incident(s) occurred to uwkills@narn.org. We will protect your identity and initiate an investigation. You can also contact us to let us know what experiments are being conducted, who the researchers are, and what the animals go though.

If you’re a student, please join or volunteer for
Campus Animal Rights Educators (CARE) at the UW campus.

UW Graduates:

Write or call the UW Alumni Association and tell them that you will not join them, or you are already an alumnus, inform them that you will be canceling your membership unless the University agrees to not use live animals in their research.

UW Alumni Association
Box 359508, Seattle, WA 98195-9508
Phone: 206-543-0540 or 1-800-AUW-ALUM
Fax: 206-685-0611


Speak up for animals at UW. Please start by sending a polite, succinct letter requesting that the University of Washington reevaluate its policies regarding animal experimentation, and commit to a long-term reduction of the use of any animals for science.

Michael Young, President
301 Gerberding Hall, Box 351230, Seattle, WA 98195
Phone: 206-543-5010

The University of Washington Board of Regents
139 Gerberding Hall, Box 351264, Seattle, WA 98195-1264
Phone: 206-543-1633
Fax: 206-543-6110

You can attend the next IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee)  meeting within the UW. IACUC approval is required for animal research protocols, and while meetings are open to the public, they are not well advertised and are subject to change at any notice. While questions can be asked, these meetings are not an opportunity to voice opposition or to protest, otherwise that would effectively eliminate access in the future. We will list future meetings in our blog’s Community Activism section.

Transfer your support of the University of Washington (and any other institutions that use animals in research) to one of the many medical charities that use modern-day non-animal-based research models. Search here to find a list of such charities working for cures. Also search here to find cruelty-free consumer products, ones created without the use of animal testing.

You can also file a FIOA request with the NIH, the federal agency that issues public money grants to the UW. You can look up by name to see if a UW researcher is listed as the Principal Investigator (researcher) for any grants. If so, the NIH will need the information detail (such as the grant number) in order to process your request. If you are successful in getting documents from the NIH, contact us at uwkills@narn.org; we have primatologists and other medical professionals on call to help examine the report(s).

Finally, you can join or volunteer with NARN, and attend our next public demonstration against the use of animals in labs.

%d bloggers like this: